Privacy and Confidentiality
Due to the sensitive nature of the data used by CCORT for its research, it was essential that CCORT adhere to very strict privacy and confidentiality policies. Since CCORT is based out of the Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences (ICES), CCORT has adopted the privacy and confidentiality policies of ICES. All CCORT investigators, including those outside of ICES, are required to sign an ICES Privacy and Confidentiality agreement.
CCORT, through ICES, has pledged to respect personal privacy, safeguard the confidentiality of data, and provide a secure environment for the information under its management. In order to achieve this commitment, the following principles, based on the Canadian Standards Association Model Code (Willison, 1999), have been implemented:
- ensured data anonymity;
- principles and policies in place for the protection of health data;
- strict policies which limit access to anonymous data;
- heightened security measures: organizational, technological and physical;
- processes for review and approval of research proposals;
- an active Confidentiality Committee, at the working and governance levels;
- mandatory staff training to keep health information protection matters top-of-mind;
- requirements that ALL staff sign a pledge of confidentiality;
- regular review of its policies to ensure they are compliant with current health information legislation and data protection practices.
For more information about the privacy and confidentiality policies, please visit the ICES website at www.ices.on.ca.